When it comes to chicken drumsticks for the BBQ, the go to flavour is usually BBQ. Its sweet and tangy but this honey soy marinade has the perfect balance of sticky and rich in flavour. Honey Soy and chicken make for a great pairing and is a real treat for anyone wanting to perfect their BBQ skills.
BBQ Honey Soy Chicken Drumsticks
- Create your sticky honey soy marinade by mixing together the soy sauce, honey, ketchup and garlic to combine.
Take your chicken drumsticks and pat them dry with a piece of kitchen roll so they’re dry and ready for the sauce.
- This is where things get messy. Add your chicken thighs to a dish and pour half of your marinade over the chicken. Get stuck in with your hands and cover every part of the chicken with the sauce.
If you need more sauce, add it sparingly, making sure to have some left for cooking.
For best results, you can prepare this the day before and keep it refrigerated and covered.
- Now to Grill!. Once your barbeque is heated, add your chicken thighs to the grill.
(To get the best Barbecued chicken drumsticks you’ll ideally want to create two heat zones- one side that is medium heat and the other side that is medium to low so you can move your chicken around.)
- When cooking on the BBQ you want to keep an eye on the internal temperature of the chicken with a meat thermometer ( 74 °C / 165 °F).
Cook your chicken on the medium- high heat, turning your chicken every few minutes to get a lovely even crispy brown colour. Once you have the desired colour, move the chicken to the medium- low heat, brush over the remainder sauce and leave to cook for 20-25 minutes (until the internal temperature is reached)
Don’t forget to keep turning the chicken to cook it evenly.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove from the grill and set to the side for 5-10 minutes to rest.
Add your sides and serve up to your friends and family on a sunny day.
What to serve with chicken drumsticks
Chicken drumsticks are a great addition to your barbeque and are easy to grill. If you’re hosting a barbeque with friends and family with a mix of BBQ meat classics, then you can pair these honey soy chicken drumsticks with a range of sides including:
- Crunchy (or creamy) coleslaw
- Classic salad
- Barbecued corn on the cob
- Creamy potato salad
- Grilled Veggies