Struggling to find exciting new dishes to cook that take very little time and the whole family will enjoy? Look no further than these amazing chicken and halloumi burgers. You won’t be able to get enough of these tasty burgers, they’re sure to be a family favourite.
Chicken and Halloumi Burger
- Place the chicken breasts between two pieces of baking parchment and hit with a rolling pin until 1cm thick. The cut each one into two even pieces.
- Heat two frying pans over a medium-high heat, warming the oil in one pan. Fry the chicken in the oiled pan for 3-4 minutes on each side until thoroughly cooked through and season.
- Lower the heat and drizzle in the chilli sauce and half the lemon juice and cook for a further 1-2 minutes until the sauce has reduced. Remove from the heat.
- While the chicken is cooking, toast the buns in the dry frying pan for 30 seconds. Move to a plate and fry the halloumi in the pan (add extra oil if the pan is not non-stick) for 30 seconds on each side until golden.
- Toss the cabbage with the mayo and the rest of the lemon juice. Spoon your chosen dip into the buns and top with the rocket, chilli chicken, halloumi, and peppers.
- Drizzle with a bit more chilli sauce, spoon over the cabbage, season with black pepper, and top with the bun lids. Serve with any extra cabbage and sides of your choice.
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp of oil (with extra for frying the halloumi if needed)
- 4 tbsp of piri-piri sauce or other mild chilli sauce (plus extra for drizzling)
- ½ juiced lemon
- Burger buns, split in half
- 250g block of lighter halloumi, cut into 8 pieces
- ¼ small, finely sliced, white cabbage
- 2 tbsp of mayonnaise
- 4 tbsp of hummus, tzatziki, or sour cream and chive dip
- A handful of rocket or 4-8 soft lettuce leaves
- 2 large roasted red peppers from a jar, drained and sliced
What to serve with chicken and halloumi burgers
As with pretty much any type of burger you have, fries or chunky chips make the perfect side dish. These can be normal fries or sweet potato, depending on your preference. Other examples of tasty sides for you chicken and halloumi burgers include:
- Green salad
- Onion rings
- Potato salad