Indulge in the delightful fusion of succulent Bavette steak and creamy Monterey Jack, masterfully rolled into exquisite pinwheels and complemented with a zesty roasted red pepper sauce. Perfectly cooked on the Kamado Joe – Classic 3, this dish promises a gastronomic experience that’s bound to impress.
Monterey and roasted red pepper spirals
- Butterfly the bavette steak and tenderise to a uniform thickness.
- Season the steak lightly with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Prepare the roasted red pepper sauce by blending peppers, garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper until smooth.
- Spread the sauce over the steak, layer with Monterey Jack cheese slices, and sprinkle fresh basil if using. Roll the steak tightly, ensuring the grain runs horizontally.
- Tie with butcher’s twine at 3cm intervals and skewer adjacent to the twine. Slice the steak into pinwheels between each twine.
- Sear the pinwheels on a hot cast iron pan or griddle for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Set up the deflector plate for indirect grilling and position the pinwheels away from direct heat.
- Grill with the lid closed, monitoring the internal temperature, aiming for 60C for a medium finish. Allow the pinwheels to rest for about 10 minutes before serving.
- 900g-1.1kg Bavette Steak
- 8-10 slices Monterey jack cheese
- 2 large roasted red peppers/200g jarred roasted red peppers
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 handful chopped fresh basil (optional)
- Butcher’s Twine (for tying)
- Skewers (for securing pinwheels)
What to serve with Monterey and roasted pepper spirals
The spirals are truly the star of the show in this dish, so we’d recommend keeping things simple with the side dishes. They will be best served with:
- Grilled asparagus
- A scoop of garlic mashed potatoes and;
- Slices of crusty bread or garlic toast