What better way to celebrate the holiday season than with a beautiful roast beef sirloin? Even though turkey often steals the show, this delicious beef sirloin roast recipe will put beef back in the spotlight and make a warm and hearty dish bursting with winter flavour.
Roast beef sirloin
- Rub the garlic halves and thyme leaves over the beef. Then place the meat in a large dish, drizzle over the olive oil and rub it into the beef. Cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for 1-2 days before you cook it (marinating the sirloin isn’t compulsory but it does give it extra flavour). Remove the beef from the fridge 1 hour before cooking to let it reach room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan/Gas 5.
- Preheat a dry frying pan until very hot, sear the beef on a high heat until it is coloured on all sides. Put the beef in a big, hob-proof roasting tray with the garlic halves and thyme sprig and roast for around 45 mins for medium rare. Add 10 mins for medium or add around 20 mins if you prefer it to be well done.
- Move the beef to a warm platter, cover loosely with foil and leave to rest for a minimum of 20 mins and anything up to 40 mins, before serving.
- While the meat is resting, you can make the gravy by putting the roasting tray over a low heat on the hob and adding the onions to the juices in the tray to cook for around 20 mins, occasionally stirring until soft and caramelised. Stir in the flour until mixed, then whisk in the red wine, ensuring there are no lumps. Bring to the boil whilst whisking, then bubble quickly until the red wine has half reduced. Stir in the hot stock, then cook over a medium heat for around 8 minutes, stirring occasionally until it has reduced to a thick gravy.
- Thinly carve the beef and pour the gravy into a warm jug ready for serving.
- 1 head of garlic, cut in half (around 12 cloves)
- 5 sprigs of thyme with the leaves picked, plus 1 extra
- 8kg of beef sirloin
- 3-4 tbsp of olive oil
- 4 large onions, sliced
- 150g of plain flour
- 500ml of red wine
- 5 litres of hot beef stock
What to serve with roast beef sirloin
There are several different side dishes that work perfectly with roast sirloin of beef, depending on the time of year you’re making it and the type of meal you’re having. Some of the best dishes for this succulent Christmas beef are:
- Yorkshire puddings
- Steamed chard
- Mashed potatoes
- Winter vegetables
- Roast potatoes