A roast chicken is a beautiful thing, and this is my all-time favourite way of doing it! Don’t worry if you haven’t got all the ingredients and the quantities are just a rough guide too. If you only were to use one or two it will still add amazing flavour. Although the combo of them all working together takes a roast chicken to the next level! We are talking butter, garlic, lemon, white wine, parsley and rosemary. The smell and flavour are unreal, and it delivers beautiful crispy skin. This delicious chicken is an all-rounder, whether served for a Sunday roast or with new potatoes and fresh salad on a summer’s day, this recipe is a crowd pleaser.
The Perfect Roast Chicken
- Preheat oven to 200 ‘C / gas 6, rinse the chicken and pat dry with a paper towel. Combine olive oil, melted butter, white wine and lemon juice together, then rub it all over the chicken, take the time to get it under the skin and inside the cavity. You want every inch covered in flavour.
- Season chicken outside and inside with salt, pepper and parsley. Don’t be afraid to use generous amounts!
- Chuck a garlic head into the chicken cavity along with a few rosemary sprigs and the squeezed lemon half. You can also use sprigs of Thyme or any other herb.
- Rub the minced garlic over the chicken and under the skin. I do this as the last step to maximise the garlic taste.
- Roast the chicken, basting half-way through. People are scared to under cook a chicken, about 50 minutes is perfect, with a good 15 mins resting your chicken will be juicy and the amazing flavours locked in.
- To check if its cooked put a skewer in the deepest part of the breast and if the juices are clear you’re good to go.
As always, we advise to cook to temperature not time, using your Meater + probe or a meat thermometer, cook your chicken to 74 degrees Celsius. (internal temperature)
- 1 Medium size Chicken
- 2 bulbs of garlic
- A few good knobs of butter
- A couple of lugs of olive oil
- A lemon
- Half a glass of dry white
- Few sprigs of rosemary
- A handful of parsley
Roast Chicken Sides for a Sunday roast
Everyone will have their own opinion on what makes the perfect sides for a Sunday roast but here are some of our favourite sides to pair with your roast chicken:
- Crispy Roast Potatoes
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Yorkshire Puddings
- Honey Roasted Carrots
- Cauliflower (You could try mashed cauliflower for a tasty and low carb side)
- Brussel Sprouts
- Green Beans
- Condiments such as mint sauce, cranberry sauce, or Bramley apple sauce