Who doesn’t love a tasty taco when having a light meal with family or friends? They’re fun to eat and full of amazing flavours. There are many creative ways to prepare tacos with a variety of ingredients. Lee from Smoke and Sear has created his own spin with a flavourful recipe for rib-eye tacos. See how he does it below…
- Take the steak out of the fridge and leave for 30 mins to come up to room temperature. Rub the steak with olive oil, sea salt, and pepper.
- Preheat the grill and place the steak on the grate, searing for 4-5 mins on each side. Check the internal temperature and remove at around 2-3C below your target cook level to account for extra cooking during the rest time. Once cooked to your preference, leave to rest for 10 mins.
- While the steak is resting, put the corn ears on the grill on medium heat and turn occasionally until charred and tender.
- Remove the corn from the grill and leave to cool slightly, then slice the kernels off the cob. Combine the charred kernels, red onion, red chilli, lime juice, and coriander. Season with salt and mix well.
- Thinly slice the rested steak against the grain and place a few slices on each tortilla.
- Top the tortillas with the charred corn salsa and fold.
- Place the tacos in a taco holder, drizzle a bit of extra olive oil or squeeze of lime over them for extra sheen and freshness. Sprinkle the coriander and a pinch of sea salt. Put a small bowl of the extra corn salsa on the side and a wedge of lime for extra zest.
- 1kg cote de boeuf
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 8 small corn tortillas
For the charred corn salsa
- 2 ears of corn, husked
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- Handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- Salt to taste
What to serve with rib-eye tacos
There is a broad selection of classic Mexican side dishes that create an amazing fusion of flavours with rib-eye tacos. See some examples below:
- Mexican street corn
- Tortilla chips and salsa
- Mexican black beans
- Pepper salad
- Refried beans