Make the most of your excess food with a mouth-watering Christmas leftover sandwich and take your Boxing Day to the next level. As well as being a great way to minimise food waste over the holidays, this recipe also ensures you create a delicious lunch for the family, leaving everyone happy and satisfied. Christmas leftover recipes like this are so special that they can even become yearly household traditions.
Christmas leftover sandwich
- Slice a 3cm lid off the top of the bread. Scoop out most of the bread from the loaf and lid, leaving around a 1cm layer (the scooped-out bread can be used for croutons or in a different recipe).
- Combine the mayo and mustard, then spread 2 tbsp over the inside of the loaf, and 1 tbsp inside the lid.
- Spoon most of the cranberry sauce into the lid, along with half the spinach, the crispy onions, and half the turkey.
- Arrange the rest of the turkey in the bottom of the loaf, followed by the remaining cranberry sauce, the pigs in blankets, stuffing, and the rest of the spinach.
- Top the loaf with the stuffed lid, push down lightly, then wrap tightly and chill for at least 3 hours. Cut into four or six wedges to serve.
- 400g white round crusty loaf
- 2 tbsp of mayonnaise
- 2 tsp of English mustard
- 3-4 tbsp of cranberry sauce
- 1 handful of baby spinach
- 3-4 tbsp of crispy onions
- 250g of leftover roast turkey
- 6 leftover cooked pigs in blankets, cut lengthways
- 150g of leftover cooked stuffing
What to serve with a Christmas leftover sandwich
There are a couple of sides that can work with a leftover Christmas turkey sandwich, but most of the typical Christmas side dishes will already be inside the sandwich. If you’re looking to fill that extra bit of space on your plate, you might want to have:
- Chunky chips
- A fresh salad
- French fries
- Leftover roast potatoes